Try these easy to prepare and delicious recipes to share at your next get together!
Black Bean & Feta Salad
A savory yet light summer salad with our lightly seasoned black beans, tomatoes, feta and red onion.
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 15 oz can Old Havana Foods Lightly Seasoned Black Beans
- 2 tablespoons Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tablespoons Aged balsamic vinegar (high quality)
- ¼ cup Chopped red onion
- ⅓ cup Finely chopped tomatoes
- ⅓ cup Finely chopped red, orange or yellow pepper
- ⅓ cup Crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix well to combine. Add feta and gently toss being careful not to break up feta too much or it will smear. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Cuban Sloppy Joes (Seasoned Ground Meat, a.k.a. Picadillo)
Versatile entree or base for many recipes
- 1 pound Ground meat (beef, pork, lamb or turkey) (or tofu!)
- 16 ounces Old Havana Foods Sofrito
- 1/4 cup Pimento stuffed or pitted green olives, chopped (optional but very traditional)
- 1/4 cup Golden raisins, coarsely chopped (optional but very traditional)
- 2 tablespoons Dry sherry (optional but very traditional)
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat until no longer pink, breaking up pieces with spoon.
- Add Old Havana Foods Sofrito, stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns for sloppy joes, in tortillas for tacos, with chips as a hearty dip, over cooked pasta, as an empanada filling, in a lasagna … the possibilities are endless!
The traditional recipe includes the chopped green olives (for a briny flavor), raisins (for a little natural sweetness) and sherry (for depth of flavor.) It still tastes great without those additions. For a truly traditional Cuban meal serve over white rice topped with a fried egg and pan fried sweet plantains (maduros.)
Easy Rotisserie Chicken Tacos
Combine rotisserie chicken with our cooking sauce for quick and tasty tacos!
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 whole Fully cooked, rotisserie chicken
- 16 oz Old Havana Foods Sofrito – Authentic Cuban Cooking Sauce (for a more savory, rich flavor)
- 16 oz Old Havana Foods Chili Cubano (for a lighter flavor)
- 12 oz Old Havana Foods Zesty Hot Cooking Sauce (for a spicy hot flavor)
- Salt and pepper
- 8 to 12 Corn or flour tortillas, taco size
- Chopped tomatoes
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- Hot sauce
- Pull rotisserie chicken meat off bones and pull apart into large bite sized pieces and place in medium size bowl. Discard chicken bones and fatty skin.
- Serve in tortillas with your choice of toppings.
Could also be heated:
- in microwave about 4 to 6 minutes on high, stirring every 2 minutes
- or in slow cooker on high setting for about 2 hours, stirring every 30 minutes
Glazed Smokie Links or Meatballs
Sweet and savory smokie links or meatballs are great for a party/
- Bring to simmer, reduce heat to low and cook uncovered for 30 to 45 minutes on low heat until sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Stir occasionally. Serve with sauce on the side.
Slow Cooker Method
- Combine ingredients in slow cooker vessel. Cook covered on high setting for 2 hours, then uncover and cook another hour or until sauce thickens and becomes glossy. Stir occasionally. Serve with sauce on the side.
Mild or Fiery Chili Cubano (Meaty or Vegan)
Using our Chili Cubano you can have hearty chili in under 15 minutes – with meat or without!
- 1 pound Beef, chicken, turkey or tofu
- 16 ounces Old Havana Foods Chili Cubano
- OR CHOOSE
- 12 ounces Old Havana Foods Zesty Hot Cooking Sauce (for a spicy version)
- 2 – 15 oz cans Old Havana Foods Lightly Seasoned Black Beans (optional)
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium heat. Brown ground meat until no longer pink, breaking up pieces of meat with spoon.
- Serve in bowls with optional garnishes and tortilla chips.
Seafood Ceviche with Avocado
Tart and refreshing this seafood ceviche satisfies on a hot summer day!
Servings: 4 to 6 people
- ¼ cup Old Havana Foods Mojo – Citrus Garlic Marinade
- 2 tablespoons Tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup Minced red or yellow onoin
- 1 pound Cooked seafood, cut into bite-size pieces shrimp, scallops, calamari or firm white fish
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium Avocado
- In medium bowl combine Old Havana Foods Mojo Citrus Garlic Marinade, tomato paste and olive oil. Add , hot sauce and cilantro if using, mix well. Add onoin and seafood and mix well to coat. Season with salt and pepper and more Mojo Marinade of desired. Stir to combine. Refrigerate up to 4 hours.
- Just before serving chop avocado into ½” dice. Add to seafood mixture, combine gently so as not to smash avocado pieces.
Serve with tortilla or pita chips or as traditionally done in Latina America – with saltines!