Braised Beef Short Ribs with Wine
Meltingly tender short ribs braised in a rich sauce of sofrito and red wine
- ½ teaspoon Pepper
- 4 pounds Boneless beef short ribs (if bone-in use 4 1/2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons Extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ cups Dry red wine
- 16 ounces Old Havana Foods Sofrito Authentic Cuban Cooking Sauce
- ½ teaspoon Fresh thyme leaves
- 2 large Carrots cut into chunks, or 1 pound baby carrots
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat large, ovenable stockpot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat on stovetop. Meanwhile sprinkle pepper over all sides of ribs.
- Add 1 teaspoon olive oil to pan coating bottom. Brown half the ribs on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Remove ribs, repeat with remaining 1 teaspoon oil and ribs. Remove ribs and set aside.
- Add wine and beef broth to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping off the brown bits on pan. Add Old Havana Foods Sofrito – Authentic Cuban Cooking Sauce, thyme, carrots, browned ribs and stir well. Cover pot and braise in oven for 4 hours or until tender, flipping beef pieces after two hours.
- Remove ribs and carrots to a serving dish, cover with foil. Spoon fat off liquid and discard fat. Taste sauce if not concentrated enough in flavor then simmer liquid in pot over medium high heat for until reduced to desired flavor.
- Add salt and pepper to taste AFTER reducing liquid. Pour sauce over beef and carrots.
Alternate Cooking Method
- Follow steps 1 through 3 as directed except place browned ribs, vegetables and liquids in slow cooker. Cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours until very tender. Skim fat off of liquid in slow cooker and discard fat.
- Remove de-fatted cooking liquid from slow cooker vessel and place in medium size sauce pan. Reduce liquid over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour thickened sauce over beef and carrots in slow cooker.
Serve with egg noodles, potatoes or your favorite mashed vegetable.