Arroz con Pollo (Spanish Chicken with Rice)
Servings: 4 to 6 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds Boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into large chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon Black pepper
- 2 teaspoons Olive oil
- 16 ounces Old Havana Foods Sofrito Authentic Cuban Cooking Sauce
- 1 ½ cups Chicken broth
- 12 ounces Light bodied beer (do not use an IPA or bitter) split into 8 oz and 4 oz
- 3 tablespoons Lime juice, fresh preferred from 1 large or 2 small limes
- 8 ounces Sweet peas (petit pois) drained, reserve peas and liquid separately
- 1 ½ cups Long grain white rice jasmine or basmati preferred
- 1 pinch Saffron optional
- Lightly season chicken with pepper. Heat a large pot over high heat until hot. Add olive oil to pot and swirl to coat bottom. Add the chicken pieces, (skin side down if using bone-in.) Brown about 5 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally or turning whole pieces after 4 minutes.
- Add Old Havana Foods Sofrito to pot, stir well to coat chicken with sofrito. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add 1½ cups chicken broth, 8 ounces beer (or additional chicken broth), lime juice, liquid from peas, rice, and saffron if using, to stockpot. Stir well to combine and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to lowest setting; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Add remaining 4 ounces of beer (or chicken stock) and drained peas. Stir well to combine, cover and let stand 8 to 10 minutes.Add salt and pepper to taste. If large, cut bone-in chicken pieces in half. For a typical Cuban presentation, serve Arroz con Pollo topped with roasted red pepper strips and asparagus.