Cuban Sloppy Joes (Seasoned Ground Meat, a.k.a. Picadillo)
Versatile entree or base for many recipes
- 1 pound Ground meat (beef, pork, lamb or turkey) (or tofu!)
- 16 ounces Old Havana Foods Sofrito
- 1/4 cup Pimento stuffed or pitted green olives, chopped (optional but very traditional)
- 1/4 cup Golden raisins, coarsely chopped (optional but very traditional)
- 2 tablespoons Dry sherry (optional but very traditional)
- Preheat non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Brown meat until no longer pink, breaking up pieces with spoon.
- Add Old Havana Foods Sofrito, stir well to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 5 to 7 minutes, until bubbly, stirring occasionally.
- Serve on buns for sloppy joes, in tortillas for tacos, with chips as a hearty dip, over cooked pasta, as an empanada filling, in a lasagna … the possibilities are endless!
The traditional recipe includes the chopped green olives (for a briny flavor), raisins (for a little natural sweetness) and sherry (for depth of flavor.) It still tastes great without those additions. For a truly traditional Cuban meal serve over white rice topped with a fried egg and pan fried sweet plantains (maduros.)