Braised Beef Short Ribs with Wine
Meltingly tender short ribs braised in a rich sauce of sofrito and red wine
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Heat large, ovenable stockpot over medium-high heat on stovetop. Meanwhile pepper ribs all over
- Add olive oil to pan coating bottom. Brown half the ribs on all sides, about 6 to 8 minutes total. Remove ribs, repeat with remaining ribs.
- Add wine and beef broth to pot. Bring to a boil, scraping off the brown bits on pan. Add Old Havana Foods Sofrito – Authentic Cuban Cooking Sauce, thyme, carrots, browned ribs and stir well. Cover pot and braise in oven for 4 hours or until tender.
- Remove ribs and carrots to a serving dish, cover with foil. Spoon fat off liquid and discard fat. Simmer liquid in pot over medium high heat for 10 to15 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour sauce over beef and carrots.
Alternate Cooking Method
- Follow steps 1 through 3 as directed except place browned ribs, vegetables and liquids in slow cooker. Cook on low setting 8 to 10 hours until very tender. Skim fat off of liquid in slow cooker and discard fat.
- Remove de-fatted cooking liquid from slow cooker vessel and place in medium size sauce pan. Reduce liquid over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until reduced by half.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Pour thickened sauce over beef and carrots in slow cooker.
Serve with egg noodles, potatoes or your favorite mashed vegetable.